06/07/2026
Nova update:
I’d hoped to have updated sooner but juggling work, vet appointments, Flyball, toddler, and a funeral, there hasn’t been a lot of time for anything beyond house cleaning….
Nova had an initial consult with her regular vet who referred us to the dental specialist to see what options we had. We did pre-GA bloods as we knew she would need some sort of procedure. It was hard to know what was going on with her tooth with the fragment still hanging out in her gum, and whether the pulp was exposed (which will lead to infection).
The specialist was a worthy exercise to go through all of our options and work out the pros and cons. He didn’t think the pulp was exposed but would need further investigation, and the tooth fragment needed removal. We were estimated a root canal cost of $3900 if so unlucky so decided if that was the case, the best option would be to extract.
Nova had a procedure last Thursday back at our regular vet and we were faced with good news! The fragment was only tiny and no pulp exposure! She had a very quick scale and polish (her teeth were pretty immaculate).
Now we have the option to have some restoration/preventative work performed at the specialist which will cost around $1800. We haven’t decided yet if we will go ahead with it, the specialist reassured us that yes it is gold standard, but it is not imperative. We know the tooth has trauma and could still die within 18 months, and any sensitivity should be gone within a month or two.
Definitely relieved that she doesn’t currently need a major extraction but we have a plan to manage her teeth. Especially with the complications Aspen has (he’s due to have a couple minor extractions from previous trauma).
One of these days I’ll finally get my car serviced but alas today is not that day.
I have started sorting out more products, which are listed below. More to be listed when I can 🥲