10/17/2026
Very real moment here.
We recently took on an owner surrender that we were told needed some potty training and possibly some separation anxiety. We could work on that and get him an amazing home.
That's NOT what we have experienced!
Within days this dog started having bloody diarrhea. We caulked it up to stress and gave him some time. Then he started to bleed from EVERYWHERE! We took him to an emergency vet. We learned he had injuries all over his body including his mouth. I had an appointment with MY vet in 2 days. The goal was to get him neutered, vaccinated, and chipped. He'd had nothing done, including training of any sort. At the emergency visit we thought he'd been in a dog fight to cause these injuries.
I asked them to stabilize him until my vet could get eyes on him. I'm SO glad I did. I'm so glad I didn't let them do more! He'd be dead. They gave him something to coagulate.
When I took him to my vet I informed of the emergency room visit.
I took him to the appointment and gave them the limited information I had on him. We did intake and I was there while we started anesthesia. I left thinking they could do the asked services and stitch his tongue.
I barely made it down the street before my vet was calling me. She didn't have good news.
"Chris I can't cut this dog. He has pin point bruising that really concerns me. Like he can't clot."
Me "ok don't do that. What are you thinking? "
Vet "We need a full panel test. I'll pull the tests but I think this dog is much sicker than you realize. "
She pulled the labs, got him stable, called me to pick him up.
Two days later my vet says... we need to talk.
My vet knows about my household. She knows how invested I can be. She also knows my limitations. Having a medically fragile child.
Vet " this dog is not showing how sick he is. For whatever reason his body is attacking itself. He also has hip dysplasia and a torn acl. We can't even address those because he has critically low platelets. He can't clot.
So I can't vaccinate, do surgery, or chip this guy. He's chronically ill so I can't adopt him out. As we talk more he's basically a glass dog. He has to be on crate rest for months however doesn't act like it. He also has severe separation anxiety.
So what do you suggest?
My amazing and trusted vet said " Chris you have been put in a tough situation. We can spend months doing a trial treatment. I say we give him a month and retest. If he shows improvement? You can make a decision. Just know this can absolutely come back. If his labs don't improve I'd suggest humane euthanasia. "
If this dog bumps his head he can hemorrhage. He's literally our glass dog. Our bubble boy!
I have two weeks until our next test. If he improves? I'll give him more of a chance. If his numbers don't look better ? I'll be making a decision I don't want to. I'm not keeping an animal alive for the sake of keeping them alive. If he has no quality of life. ... I will humanely euthanasize him.
This whole situation breaks my heart. I'm here to keep animals OUT of the rescue. I do what I do to SAVE animals. The last thing I want to think about is putting such a sweet baby down. At the same time I have to think about quality of life.
Tonight Chance is hanging out with me. He's getting a bunch of love and enrichment activities.