10/13/2026
I have to make a really tough decision about Tom and I need a bit more help. 🙏
We either have to euthanize or insert a temporary feeding tube and stitch up his mouth again. That'll be about $600-800 more.
I know, it seems insane for "just a barn cat". But he's been with me for years and he's everything to me. He's the whole reason *I* keep fighting for all the cats dumped here every time I want to give up.
With this whole debacle, I'm uncertain I trust it was stitched right to begin with. 😭
That's literally the only two options we have now. He wouldn't eat again today and his blood sugar dropped low enough he's definitely in danger.
There's also no guarantee they can fix the issue in his mouth and he won't know unless they try.
The vet isn't worried about infection being an issue or even the stomatitis. Apparently, it's the lack of nutrition and the tissue in his mouth healing too slowly with the steroids making this worse.
And he admitted the feeding tube should have been considered and offered earlier. Like days or longer earlier.
The vet requested I come see Tom again and decide. Very carefully not pushing me in either direction as he's been listening to me crash out over decisions all day and my regrets and knows I'm considering Tom and QOL.
I took a friend with me to visit Tom.
Tom is still fighting and meowed, got frustrated and fought to get on my lap, and purred.
I already have so many regrets over not getting a second opinion earlier and trusting that I'd be called if Tom wasn't eating or something!
I am getting a temporary feeding tube and having his mouth repaired by this new vet. Tom can come home and be medicated with a feeding tube. My friend agreed that I should try because I'd always wonder "what if" and tried to make me feel better by pointing out that no one would expect a vet to just let a cat deteriorate and not do anything or inform me.
It might work. It might not. But it'll buy time to let him heal while NOT starving and keep him comfortable while we hope it works.
Or we'll lose him and I'll know nothing more could be done.
Please, if you can help, they accept direct vet payments (PM me) or check out my linktree for options.
If I personally pay any more, I won't eat for 2 weeks and I'll have to beg for cat food.
I'm just very lucky the fix isn't $15k or something crazy and it's POSSIBLE if a couple people chip in with me.
I'll post begging for help again tomorrow morning or update if I hear anything about the feeding tube tonight.